Amy and I were sitting in an airport waiting for a flight. I said, “I should have been a pilot.” Amy asked me why. Really, it was just something to say; I was briefly imagining my alternate life in which I was an airline pilot. Instead of explaining the details of the fantasy (get to fly around the world, chicks dig on you, etc.) I said: “So I could fly far away from you.” See, it was funny to say because I didn’t mean it, and because this is so obviously a terrible thing to say to anyone, let alone your girlfriend. Oh, we had a good laugh.
Amy suggested that there could be an entire children’s book based on this premise:
- I wish I were an astronaut… so that I could escape to another planet
- I wish I were a deep sea diver… so that I could go to the bottom of the ocean and be alone
- I wish I worked at night… so that I’d never see you
- I wish I were an explorer in foreign lands… so that we’d lose contact
- I wish I were a time traveler… so I could travel to before you were born… or after you died
Try this with your loved ones, the next time you’re feeling grumpy, or simply want to make an impression.